The Chun Kuk Do
Chun Kuk Do is a hybrid martial art founded and first taught by Chuck Norris. The phrase “Chun Kuk Do” means “Universal Way”.
This art consists of a combination of Tang Soo Do, Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Shodokan and many other martial arts. Every summer Chun Kuk Do and its organization UFAF (United Fighting Arts Federation) hold a convention tournament in Las Vegas.
People around the world know Chuck Norris, either through his martial arts career, or most likely through the characters from his action movies and hit television series. However, very few know of the actual style of martial arts he founded and practices… Chun Kuk Do.
Like most martial arts, chun kuk do is not just a style of fighting, it’s a way of life. When Mr. Norris laid the ground work for his martial art he created twelve points by which he lives his life. This “Code of Ethics” is used by all practitioners of chun kuk do.
Chun kuk do (pronounced: chun gook do) is a hard form of martial art developed by Chuck Norris in an attempt to create a more complete martial art style.
The name means “the universal way”. It uses kicking and striking as well as forms of grappling. The style began its development in the early 1980′s with Mr. Norris’ base in tang soo do.
Several elements of other styles were added including jujutsu. The martial art tends itself more to a defensive form of combat, but because it’s such an open style it doesn’t exclude other forms of training.
Code of honor: Chun Kuk Do includes a code of honor and rules to live by, much like other forms of martial arts. These rules are from Chuck Norris’ personal code.
- I will develop myself to the maximum of my potential in all ways.
- I will forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements.
- I will always be in a positive frame of mind and convey this feeling to every person that I meet.
- I will continually work at developing love, happiness and loyalty in my family and acknowledge that no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
- I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.
- If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.
- I will give so much time to the improvement of myself that I will have no time to criticize others.
- I will always be as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
- I will maintain an attitude of open-mindedness toward another person’s viewpoint while still holding fast to that which I know to be true and honest.
- I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.
- I will always remain loyal to God, my country, family and my friends.
- I will remain highly goal-oriented throughout my life because that positive attitude helps my family, my country, and myself.
The Chun Kuk Do creed consists of four basic principles:
In Chun Kuk Do the belt ranks are as follows:
There are also advanced ranks in between each belt that is the current belt with a horizontal stripe through it of the next belt color. There are ten degrees of Black Belts. Though Chuck Norris is the only tenth degree black belt. When one receives the fifth degree, they are promoted to the master rank.
Chun Kuk Do – means the “Universal Way”. It is not all about fighting, it is about a way of life that teaches many different life skills necessary to survive and succeed in our ever changing society. Not everyone joins a martial arts class just to learn self defense.
Chun Kuk Do develops your mental focus, emotional self control, and concentration as well as your flexibility, strength, speed and endurance. This system of martial arts is different from other forms of martial arts in that it blends aspects of karate, aikido, judo, jujitsu and boxing, for a total exercise. Grandmaster Chuck Norris is the founder and chairman of this system. His brother, Aaron Norris, is the President. Our Black Belts are committed to helping you achieve your martial arts goals.
The United Fighting Arts Federation, or UFAF, is an organization founded and chaired by Chuck Norris. His brother, Aaron Norris, is the President. Members of the organization study the style of Chun Kuk Do which means “Universal Way”. UFAF is made up of 12 regions across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Each Region has a Regional Chair and Regional Board that oversees testing, seminars, school applications and general operations for the region. There are over 75 schools located throughout these regions, all with UFAF Black Belt instructors.You might also like: